Monday, August 27, 2012

Family,

           I might be kind of brief today, but we'll see. This week was pretty darn tough. It got better the last few days, but sometimes I felt like I was completely on my own and that I had no support. I didn't know what to do with this area and I didn't want our numbers to be low, but everyone was failing us and no one seemed interested. It's different here. Everything is more fast-paced. It's good and it's definitely a challenge I'm not going to half-way attempt to overcome, but it sure is a different ballgame. President Le'Grand Curtis' wife called us and gave us a referral which we had a very interesting lesson with. We walked a way to get to her house, and when we met her it was 8:00 at night. she lives in like the most compacted area I've seen here. Everyone's houses, the roads, and everything is just wall to wall and there's not much room. The sewage (bathwater and possibly urine) runs down the little hallways in between the houses and it reminds me of some kind of "black-ops" level on the X-box. We finally found this woman. Her name is Hannah. We sat down and another man which lived next door sat down and started listening too. To say the least, he was pretty uneducated and unreasonable. The lesson went fine until he started quoting scriptures from the bible saying things like "God is three in one" and "No one has ever seen God". We told him what we believed and tried to move on, but he kept interrupting us telling us that the bible says otherwise. The branch missionary we were with wanted to argue bible scripture with him, and he did that for a while until I told him we'll take it from there. To be honest, I think Satan was there and he really wanted to just break us down. It was hard to have patience and not just say to this guy, "Man, keep your mouth shut and let us explain!". He really wasn't someone to contend with because he just wanted to contend, he wasn't so much interested in getting to the bottom of the truth. I finally stopped him and told him and sister Hannah that they need to pray tonight and ask God if Joseph Smith really did see God. Because, I told them, if he did, then God is not "three in one" and people can and have "seen God", and more importantly that the only true church that is God's on earth is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As soon as I started saying this, the mood changed rapidly. It actually even seemed to get lighter in the area we were in. Everyone quieted down, and this guy sat and listened quietly. I just about broke and told the guy off, but I held out a little longer and everything worked out great. We ended the lesson on a spiritual high, and everything felt really good.
           I didn't get a package, but that's because they didn't bring packages. We had a zone activity today and played soccer and basketball at the MTC, which is actually only a 30 minute ride from where I'm at. I saw the ocean again, it was awesome.
           We walk mostly in Nungua. Still send the deodorant, things are the same price no matter where you go in Ghana, with the exception of fruit or other produce. I got mail more often in the bush because Elder Barney was the 2nd counselor in our branch back in Nsawam. But there's a ton of areas and missionaries in the Greater Accra Region, we only get mail if we ever come in contact with the office elders or assistants to the president which happened today because they came to our zone activity. That zone activity was great, I haven't played basketball in so long, it was so much fun!
           Thanks for those pictures. Man, McCall is cute! As grandma Hatch would say, "You're gonna have to keep away all those boys away from her!" or something like that. I think she said that to me every time one of my siblings were born. Really though, she's really pretty! Connor looks a little bigger in that hunting picture too like he's working out or something. I'm gonna have to step it up a notch if I want to dominate him when I get back. Football sounds awesome! That's way cool they're blowing out every team and even more cool that I get to be there when he plays full-on varsity his Junior and Senior year! I bet Kade is enjoying Junior High, I'd keep the laffy taffies too if I were him, those are good! We don't cook together here. Everyone manages their own subsistence money, which is actually a little more difficult than you'd think if you want to eat something that tastes somewhat good. So we just eat individually. The area here is different. It's more like the wards back home than the branches I've been in before. It's a good thing, but the branch in Nsawam was especially good. Maybe it's just because I spent so long there, but I really think that branch is great.
         I've got some time left actually, so I'll talk about more. We have a woman and her two children coming to church 2 weeks in a row now. Hopefully they'll be baptized on the 15th of September. I love the kids here. I don't want to be an elementary school teacher or anything, but I wouldn't mind working with something with little kids when I get back, they're just fun!
        Well, that's about it, I'll talk to you guys later. Thanks for the letters and especially the pictures, I loved it all! I love my family, it's so great to always hear everything is going so well. I love you guys. :)

                                                                               Love, Dallin (Elder Littlefield)

No comments:

Post a Comment