Tuesday, November 29, 2011

This week has been REALLY hard, again. I don't know if it's a good thing to do, but I'm really praying and hoping to get a new companion this transfer. This last week on Wednesday I just had enough while we were riding around and told my companion I couldn't handle him anymore. We went back to the apartment and talked about it a little. I just told him he was ruthless and didn't know how to have any mercy. He said he knew he was missing something and told me a lot about how he never had a good childhood, how he was raised by his sister who was really abusive and he always just had to deal with things on his own. I think it was really good to talk about it all, but we still clash in personality and I have tTo have A LOT of patience with him.
       Yesterday we had 3 baptisms though. One baptism we had at the Oyoko branch, and one in Effiduase. Because the branch members here don't put in much effort at all to help us with these baptisms and the programs, we had to split with some branch missionaries and cover each baptism at each place. It was a really good teaching point for me because I was left with a woman who was nervous and shy about getting baptized, and I had to write up the whole program, clean and fill the font, and make sure everything went through well. It all did go well! I prayed and prayed that I would be able to pull it all off, and everything ended up fine! I was so grateful! Well, good news, I have Malaria! ha. Later that afternoon I started to get a headache, and then later that evening my arms and legs started to hurt and I got a small fever. I called Sister Judd and asked her what I should do. She had me take my temperature and it was only like 99.5, so she said if it ever got over 101 and I started to get diarrhea or started vomiting that I could have malaria. Last night was HELL! I started just aching more and more and I couldn't fall asleep until midnight. Around 2:00 a.m. I woke up and had bad diarrhea and threw up a little bit. I checked my temperature and it was at 104! This morning I called Sister Judd again and she had me start taking the Malaria medicine. I don't think I've ever been more sick than now in my life. It's just like a combination of everything. My companion did my laundry and I was thankful for that, but he still isn't very good at being sympathetic. We went to the Baker's for a thanksgiving meal, but I just slept on their couch. They checked my temperature again and it was still at 103. It's really been hard and I just feel like someone out there wants me to quit really bad, which makes me wonder what my potential is, so in a way it's encouraging and I see it as a challenge. I got Grandpa and Grandma's letter through dearelder.com and it was really comforting to hear what they had to say. Well, things can't get too much worse right now, but there's still good things. I've really been thinking about my testimony these last two weeks and I've found that there's nothing that could make me deny the church is true. My testimony isn't logical, it's been confirmed to me from my Heavenly Father through the Holy Ghost. I don't know why exactly, and I can't explain it, but I know that my testimony is firm and completely immovable. A lot of things could happen, and a lot of people could prove to me logically that the church couldn't be true, but I could never deny that it is true. I've received answers from my Heavenly Father and they are engraved in everything I do now. I love this church so much, and I know, even though this is BY FAR the hardest thing I've ever done, and I've felt more like giving up now than at any time in my life, that the rewards of serving my mission will be immense. I know with everything in me, and I've never doubted, that just like 1st Ne. 3:7 says, I know that because this work is ordained of God, and that it is a commandment from God, that there will always be a way to make things work. I take courage from the hard times, and really think that it means great, great things are in the future.
         Thanks for your letters! I got kade, McCall, and Connor's letter and the package full of candy! Thanks Kade and Mom sooooo much! Candy like that makes some mornings a lot nicer, even if I just get to have like one Starburst! Thanks Ta'en!   Temple square looked like a lot of fun! Thanksgiving day was a little hard because I knew what you guys were doing at home, so it was hard not to think of that. But all is going well! It's just a little hard sometimes (like Grandpa and Grandma could agree). Every one here says that the Port Harcourt mission in Nigeria is like the most dangerous mission and can be really hard, so I admire grandpa and grandma for that. We watched Jeffery R. Hollands priesthood session talk at the Bakers today and he said "what better way can grandparents tell their grandchildren than by going on a mission that 'in this family, we serve missions' ". (just paraphrasing) I love my family so much, and I thank you guys for all your prayers, I'm not sure I would have held up during sometimes if it weren't for the support I received from my Heavenly Father. Well, I hope you know that even though my letters sometimes make it seem like I'm miserable or something, that usually by the next day I wished I wouldn't have been so negative, haha. Things really are going very well, and we're now teaching a family that is already so close-knit and we even got to teach all of them at the same time. While we've been teaching, I'm positive that the spirit was with us while we taught, and I really hope the family makes the decision to be baptized, because they're all already so close and loving as a family, which is hard to find here in Ghana. Thanks my family, and thanks mom for everything! for your questions though dad: How do you meet people? just by walking into their houses and knocking on their doors or talking to them.  Is it by referrals mostly? we get some referrals from members, but not too often.    Do you teach in peoples homes a lot or is it in the church or other places? we teach in peoples homes mostly. The whole time I've been here we haven't taught anywhere else but than the person's house.  Do most people read and are they able to read the book of mormon? Most people cannot read very well, but some can read very well. Many of the people that can read don't comprehend what they read though, so that can be hard. Mostly a lot of patience is required with everyone we teach. But my pigeon english is getting better and better and I can teach a lot better now!  Do you sleep well? I sleep alright, I use a sheet as a blanket, my mattress is sinking in, so sometimes I wake up in the morning and my back hurts, but other than that I sleep just fine (just as long as the power doesn't go out and my fan keeps going during the night). Well, I think that's about it for this week! It sure feels good to tell you guys about it all, because it can become pretty stressful sometimes. Thanks!

 Love, Dallin (Elder Littlefield)

No comments:

Post a Comment