Sunday, August 28, 2011

Dear Family,
Everything is great! As it turns out, we're the first group (not to mention the largest group; 71 of us) to have e-mail in the MTC! So anyways, I've written a few things down to tell you, but i'll start out by telling you about the flight and stuff like that. The plain ride here wasn't as long as i thought it would feel. Although it did seem more real and real the closer I got to Africa. I was homesick on the way to Accra from Atlanta. I sat on an aisle seat and there was a little boy who I talked to that reminded me of Kade. I tried not to think about about it too much because it just made me sad. When we got to Ghana, The MTC first counselor and one of the teachers met us at the exit of the airport. They told us as we walked outside to not give the people money if they asked, and they did ask. People working at the airport followed us to our cars and helped us put our luggage in the 2 vans they had brought. (I'm trying to remember as much as I can and include detail, but i might miss some stuff) A worker form the airport was walking up to some of the missionaries and whispering to them and telling them, "Tip that man, he will protect you" pointing to the larger workers in the group. Most of the elders just sit there, unsure what to do, and just kind of stare at the workers, ha. Anyways. I was unable to make it on the first trip because we couldn't take everyone plus the luggage in both vans. So we waited a good 2 hours before we were picked up. On the ride there we had to pass a toll booth. Traffic was pretty backed up and there were people all over the streets (vendors) selling things they were carrying. We had our window open in the back of the van and they would just come up and yell out whatever they were selling and just kind of stare at us and wait for us to say something. Most of us were unsure what to say again, and just stared at them. I was sitting in the middle though, so I never really had to interact with them. Everyone here REALLY IS so friendly and so nice. They are very very very sincere and just loving people. They get down to business when it is time, and they love each other like everyone was their actual brother and sister, which they kind of are doctrinally speaking. I decided that if you really wanted to, you could pack you family in a car, stick every family member at a window with money, and drive past the vendors on the street and make your grocery shopping trip while driving. They even stand in the middle of the lanes in between cars, even when the cars are getting up to 30 miles per hour. We almost hit a guy, but our driver honked at him and he just barely got out of the way! It was pretty crazy. When we got to the MTC, they sat us in the chapel room of the MTC and we got all checked in and I was assigned a companion. Except my companion had not arrived. His plane got there later that night around 11:00 p.m. His name is elder Baion (pronounced bye-own). He's a really cool guy and he's from Sierra Leonne.
Some of the African elders here say funny things. for example, when we saw some pictures on a power point we were watching during a health meeting, one said to me "no price" pointing to the pictures and laughing. I think he meant priceless. Also when one of the Elders from Utah asked an african elder if he had a girlfriend, he was quiet for a second and then he said "ye cannot serve 2 masters". We all laughed. Also one time walking up the stairs my companion said to me, "you know, for Elder "Little"field, you are big.
Anyways, that is most of what has happened here! It has been the hardest time of my life trying to adapt, but I'm feeling more and more comfortable every day. The elders coming from african countries amaze me at how much they know and understand. They are very direct and simple in their answers, and I never would have thought that just saying it so simply would sound so profound, they are awesome. Most of them are over 20. we have about 10 sister missionaries also. The food is good, and I can't complain at all. It is all Ghanian food. Well I'm running out of time and I still have to attempt to attatch pictures. I love you all, and miss you all, but it's all in a good way. I can see how missionaries change on the mission and I wouldn't be suprised if I have an accent by week 2 or 3, it's really catchy. Anyways, if i get the pictures attatched, the elder with his head on my shoulder is my companion, and the one on the bed is just another missionary from ethiopia.
Love you guys, Elder Littlefield

No comments:

Post a Comment